Frank Childress House
302 South Sergeant
Circa 1922 Craftsman
Mr. Lewis Franklin Childress made his fortune in the mining business in the area as the owner of Lead and Zinc Mining Company.
His legacy lives on with the Frank Childress Boy Scout Reservation, located near Diamond, Missouri. The grounds were originally a recreation home for the Childress family. Son, Paul Childress donated the land to the Scouts in 1964. The camp included campsites named after the characters of Rudyard Kipling’s “Jungle Book,” a large swimming pool, dining hall, pirate ship, old west fort, old mine, Indian village, and a stocked trout pond for fishing. The reservation is also home to many hiking and biking trails, and abounds with native plant and animal life.