518 South Sergeant Circa ~ 1917 ~ Colonial Revival
S. C. HENDERSON, wholesale grocer, was born in Vevay, Switzerland county, Ind., Ang. 16, 1835. His father, Charles Henderson, was a native of Kentucky, born in 1796; his mother, Caroline Ann (Wescott) Henderson, was a native of the Island of Guernsey, born in 1805. Our subject remained in the county of his nativity until fifteen years of age, and at- tended the common schools, receiving a liberal education. He then engaged in flat-boating on the Ohio and Mississippi rivers, and continued in that occupation for ten years; he then accepted a position as pilot on a steam- boat, at first in the transport service for four years, and then in carrying the United States mails for six years. He then quit the water and went to Fairbury, 111., where he engaged in the grocery business for a time. He came west in 1871, locating at Baxter Springs, Kan., and engaged in the wholesale and retail grocery business; he continued until 1876 and then came to Joplin and established his present business, Mr. Henderson was married in Switzerland county, Ind., in Dee., 1863, to Miss Hattie, daughter of Capt. Stivers, of Carrollton, Ky. They had one child, Charles G., born Dec 1864, now of Edinburgh, Ind. Mrs. H. died in the spring of 1867. Our subject was again married in Cincinnati. Ohio, Oct. 19. 1867, to Miss Sarah L.,’ daughter of J. B. and Elizabeth McQuigg, of Blair county, Pa. Mrs. H was born in the last-named county, March 13, 1848. This union has been blessed with one child, Lillie May, born Aug. 13, 1869, in Cincinnati.
From 1883 History of Jasper County
HENDERSON S WHOLESALE GROCERY HOUSE was located on the corner of Main and Sixth streets the elegant brick. two storie building was filled to its utmost capacity with a full line of the best goods for the wholesale trade.