The Fredrick H. Rogers House | Designed by prominent Joplin architect Austin Allen
Located in the North Heights Historic District | 536 North Wall
The Frederick H. Rogers house is associated with two prominent Joplin residents. Frederick Rodgers (original owner) and William H Landreth. Frederick Rodgers was and early Joplin mine operator and not originally of Joplin. William H. Landreth moved to Joplin aged 17. Graduating from Joplin Business School he started Landreth machinery Company in 1901, which would grow into one of the largest firms in the area. He would leave his mark on the area by being civically active serving on boards for development, Chamber of Commerce, local associations and most notably donated the land for Landreth Park.
The Rodgers house was designed by prominent Joplin architect Austin Allen. Allen was a successful architect in both the Kansas City and Joplin area. Locally Allen was architect for the Newman Building, United Hebrew Temple, Olivia Apartments, The Rodgers house exhibits high quality neoclassical elements. The exterior features, modillions beneath the roof and porch cornices, pedimented dormers and columns. The interior has large well finished beamed ceiling, hand carved wood finish and imported materials. Unlike homes today, these elements were common to Joplin in that era.