Unity of Joplin
204 North Jackson Avenue
Mission Style | circa 1911
Local Historic Landmark
Built in 1911 by the Calvary Baptist Church, it was sold to persons unknown in 1924. Folklore claims it served as a “speakeasy” during the prohibition era.
The Joplin Women’s Club purchased the building in 1929 for their community center. They sold it in 2001, but the Women’s club continues today and conducts fashion shows, lectures, bridge sessions, luncheon meetings, awards scholarships, and more. During World War II, the club entertained soldiers from Camp Crowder and prepared hospital gowns and bedding for the Red Cross from this historic place of distinction.
After the May 2011 Joplin Tornado destroyed Unity of Joplin’s home, they chose to purchase and restore the former Women’s Club rather than rebuild their former building.
“The Unity community welcomes everyone, to join us for services on Sunday at 11 am, for special events, or various classes. You may find our events on Facebook-unityofjoplin1 or contact us at 417-781-6116 or email@example.com.” — Reverend Gordon Keyler