Edna Catherine Jackson Houk

Edna Catherine Jackson Houk | Mrs. William Houk 218 South Sergeant Avenue | Joplin Missouri | Circa 1903 | Extant Edna was an active worker in the cause of prohibition, a supporter of everything tending to uplift and better the community, and one of America’s early...

Window Restoration & Weatherization Boot Camp

Window Restoration & Weatherization Boot Camp May 18 -19 – 20 Bob Yapp  Bob Yapp founded the Belvedere School for Historic Preservation in July of 2008. The school is dedicated to teaching students from all over North America how to become artisans in the...

Effie Loraine Daigler Snapp

Effie Loraine Daigler Snapp| Mrs. Fletcher Taylor Snapp 501 South Sergeant Avenue | Circa 1905 | Extant In 1911, Effie was the only women in Joplin listed as being a proud owner of a Chelsea electric car . Thomas R. Bellas (Architect) Their Colonial Revival house...

Wilhelmina (Mina) Martens Schifferdecker

  Wilhelmina (Mina) Martens Schifferdecker | Mrs. Charles Schifferdecker 422 South Sergeant Avenue | Circa 1890 The house and grounds (and Zelleken House to the north) are currently being restored for public use by Joplin Historical Neighborhoods, Inc. The...

Women of Murphysburg: Mildred Mellisa Taylor

Mildred Mellisa Wilson Taylor | Mrs. Lee Taylor Mr. and Mrs. Taylor were considered one of Joplin’s earliest Pioneers Mildred and Lee’s home was on the northeast corner of 5th and Byers Avenue for thirty years.  In 1909 the Joplin News Herald announced that the...