603 North Pearl Avenue
North Heights Neighborhood
Original owner, history, and date of construction research is ongoing.
Most of the area now referred to as North Heights was owned and mined by the Granby Mining Company during the 1870s and 1880s. The mining company sold most of the land between what are now A and F streets, west of Main Street to the City of Joplin in 1891 and development began soon afterward.
The North Heights Neighborhood Group was started in 2016 by a group of neighbors who saw the potential of their historic but declining neighborhood and believed they could be the primary change agents in its revitalization. Working for three years, they developed a strong network of over 900 neighbors, threw quarterly connection events, and engaged in the identification and restoration of historic homes. In 2019, they found it necessary to form a non-profit when a home was donated for restoration.
Now, with five connection events a year, including the fourth annual Porchfest scheduled for October 10, 2020, four revitalization projects including a mural on Main Street, and an active group of nine neighborhood coordinators, the North Heights Neighborhood Group is actively pursuing becoming a historic district on the National Register of Historic Places.