DeGraff Building  |  524 South Main Street  |  Circa 1900

DeGraff Building | 524 South Main Street | Circa 1900

EMPIRE BLOCK BUILDING 524 South Main Street (Second & Third Floors) circa 1900  |  Thomas R. Bellas, Architect  Downtown Sunshine Lamp Historic District Charles DeGraff, a banking magnate, and his brother Oscar, both successful operators of the nearby Empire Mine,...
North Heights Neighborhood

North Heights Neighborhood

Most of the area now referred to as North Heights was owned and mined by the Granby Mining Company during the 1870s and 1880s.  The mining company sold most of the land between what are now A and F streets, west of Main Street, to the City of Joplin in 1891 and...
Unity of Joplin

Unity of Joplin

        Unity of Joplin                      204 North Jackson Avenue                       Mission Style  | circa 1911                      Local Historic Landmark   Built in 1911 by the Calvary Baptist Church, it was sold to persons unknown in 1924.  Folklore...
United Hebrew Congregation

United Hebrew Congregation

There has been a Jewish presence in the Joplin area longer than Joplin has existed, with the first arriving during the 1860s. Early Jewish settlers of the area were shopkeepers, businesspeople, and executives and managers in the mines, who settled here to take...
First United Methodist Church

First United Methodist Church

FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH 501 West Fourth First United Methodist Church has been part of the fabric of the community that bears his name since the Reverend Harris G. Joplin, a Methodist circuit rider, made his way to the edge of the frontier back in the 1830’s and...
Home for the Holidays… in Joplin

Home for the Holidays… in Joplin

Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings. North Heights Neighborhood...