JOHN A. COTTON HOUSE

JOHN A. COTTON HOUSE

602 North Wall Avenue circa 1918 |  North Heights Neighborhood  Research shows that the home was at one point owned by John Cotton who’s wife Mabel also lived in the home for many years after his death or their separation.  The original owner, history, style, and date...
C. M. DeGraff Building  |  524 South Main Street  |  Circa 1900

C. M. DeGraff Building | 524 South Main Street | Circa 1900

EMPIRE BLOCK BUILDING Thomas R. Bellas, Architect Downtown Sunshine Lamp Historic District Charles DeGraff, a banking magnate, and his brother Oscar, both successful operators of the nearby Empire Mine, constructed this building as a real estate venture.  The building...
UNITY OF JOPLIN

UNITY OF JOPLIN

204 North Jackson Avenue Mission Style  | circa 1911 Local Historic Landmark | Wilson & Hutton Historic Neighborhood  The tour started at Unity of Joplin located in the Wilson & Hutton historic neighborhood. The building, formally the Woman’s Club, is a local...
United Hebrew Congregation

United Hebrew Congregation

There has been a Jewish presence in the Joplin area longer than Joplin has existed, with the first arriving during the 1860s. Early Jewish settlers of the area were shopkeepers, businesspeople, and executives and managers in the mines, who settled here to take...
First United Methodist Church

First United Methodist Church

FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH 501 West Fourth First United Methodist Church has been part of the fabric of the community that bears his name since the Reverend Harris G. Joplin, a Methodist circuit rider, made his way to the edge of the frontier back in the 1830’s and...