The Charles Henderson House

The Charles Henderson House

518 South Sergeant  Circa ~ 1917 ~ Colonial Revival S. C. HENDERSON, wholesale grocer, was born in Vevay, Switzerland county, Ind., Ang. 16, 1835. His father, Charles Henderson, was a native of Kentucky, born in 1796; his mother, Caroline Ann (Wescott) Henderson, was...
The Frye/BaSom House

The Frye/BaSom House

318 South Sergeant Circa ~ 1891 ~   Second Empire Architectural details  ~ spindle work and art glass Charles Frye was originally from New York and came to Joplin to invest in mining. He built this home in 1891 for $5000. It originally had a square tower with a...
Dr. Albert Newton Winchester

Dr. Albert Newton Winchester

507 South Sergeant Circa 1905-1906 ~  Queen Anne Dr. Albert Newton Winchester, M.D. cared for the aches and ailments of three generations of many Joplin families who came under his attention. Coming to Joplin in 1897, six years after his graduation from Vanderbilt...
James Geddes House

James Geddes House

301 S Sergeant Ave Late 1890s ~ Queen Anne Spindle work, Art glass, Hitching post  Howard Hughes came to Joplin in 1900 looking to capitalize off the booming town. Howard tried to elope with the daughter of Mr. Geddes 16-year old Francis Geddes, but her father...
The Frank Childress House

The Frank Childress House

302 South Sergeant  ~ Circa 1922 ~ Prairie ~ Architectual details ~ Art glass Frank Childress made his fortune in the mining business in the area as the owner of Lead and Zinc Mining Company.  His legacy lives on with the Frank Childress Boy Scout Reservation, located...
The Austin Allen House

The Austin Allen House

112 South Sergeant ~  Circa 190~ Craftsman Style Samuel Austin Allen arrived in Joplin in 1890 at the age of 10. His father was J.W. Allen an early pioneer and successful mine operator in the area.   Austin graduated from Joplin High School in 1898. He received a...