Eternal Homes….from Murphysburg to Mount Hope Cemetery

Saturday, June 18 Headstone Restoration Workshop starts at 10:00 AM

Cemetery Mausoleum Vignettes are performed between 3:00 & 8:00 PM

Historic Murphysburg Preservation, Inc. will think outside their block by hosting a tour and workshop at Mount Hope Cemetery.  Have you ever wondered what a mausoleum looks like behind those ornate solid bronze doors?  Do you want to hear directly from the “spirits” of Joplin “influencers” of the early 1900s?  Saturday, June 18, 2022 is your chance.  The cemetery tour starts at 3:00 and goes to 8:00 pm.  Tour includes docents, historic reenactors, musical entertainment and theatrical performances by Dream Theatre Troupe.

Hands-on workshop will also be offered at 10:00 am.  Guests will learn the basics of headstone restoration, maintenance, and safe cleaning practices.  Bring your own soft brush and bucket and we will supply the rest.

Refreshments will be available so that attendees can “sip and stroll” through this historic site atop Jasper County’s highest natural elevation.  

Tour at your own pace to each selected mausoleums and monuments to hear directly from the “ghosts” of Joplin “influencers” of the early 1900s.

Mount Hope Cemetery represents an extremely valuable cultural and historical asset of the four-state area through their genealogical information, gravestone architecture, and iconography.  Joplin co-founding father Patrick Murphy and Webb City founding-father John Cornwell Webb are both interred here.  The cemetery was designed in 1905 by Hare and Hare, who later went on to assist in the design of the Kansas City Country Club Plaza, Nelson Art Gallery, and much more.

This special event is brought  to you by Historic Murphysburg Preservation, Inc and our sponsors

The Women of Murphysburg . . . Bendelari Women of The Olivia Apartments

A lot has been written about the history and current restoration of The Olivia Apartments at 320 South Moffet Avenue in Joplin.  In honor of Women’s History Month, we present stories of four women directly connected to the Olivia, each with their own unique stories.

The first story belongs to Frances Geddes.  The next three women are the daughters of Fredrico Bendelari, Mary, Helen and Olivia.

Olivia Josephine Bendelari / Mrs. Alex Stein

Olivia was born on December 11, 1910 in Ohio, but soon came to live with her parents, Annie and Fred Bendelari at the Olivia Apartments.  It must have been a constant source of pride and need for explanation for the young Olivia to live at the Olivia that was named...

Helen Bendelari Boughton-Leigh McAlpin

Helen was born on January 15, 1906, in Ohio, but soon came to live with her parents, Annie and Fred Bendelari, and siblings at The Olivia Apartments.  Her uncle, Arthur Bendelari built the Olivia and lived there with his wife Frances.  Her father and uncle were...

Mary Bendelari

Inventor | Designer | Entrepreneur | Mentor | Lobbyist | Socialite | Manufacturer Mary also patented an elastic-edge tablecloth and a rigid bed sheet Mary was born in Ohio in 1902, but soon came to live with her parents, Annie and Fred Bendelari, and siblings at the...

Frances Geddes Bendelari / Mrs. Arthur Bendelari Joplin Society Leader | Prominent Vocalist in Joplin and Beyond

Born in September 1884 in Ohio, Frances and her siblings grew up with their parents James and Dollie Geddes in Joplin, and at one point, lived at 301 S Sergeant in what is now the Murphysburg Historic District.  A Quashed Elopement  -  Several biographical books (and...

In honor of Women’s History Month—and in celebration of the ongoing restoration of the Olivia Apartments at 320 S. Moffet Avenue—Historic Murphysburg Preservation, Inc. will present “Women of the Olivia,” long forgotten accounts of four unique, smart women. Paula Callihan, one of the group’s members, said, “We knew a little bit about two women connected to Murphysburg’s history, but when we decided to expand on it, we were excited to find evidence of two other women’s biographies.”
Mary Anne Phillips, another member, said, “Now that historical data is available on the internet, it’s amazing what can be found about Joplin’s or your family’s history by a simple word or name search. Expect to read politically incorrect language and content based on today’s standards.” When browsing old newspapers for women’s history, be sure to look at the so-called woman’s page, personals, club notes, social forecasts, and general society columns. There are also gaps in years/months/days of many archived newspapers.

All of the Bendelari women in the series were considered socialites, were well traveled, cultivated special talents, earned national recognition, and made their homes in Joplin before, after, and during their careers. The Bendelari sisters were educated at home and abroad. All four women lived to their 80s and 90s and all died in California.

In September 1871, Murphysburg was incorporated in Missouri and named for co-founder Patrick Murphy. At the time, Murphysburg was generally on the west side of Joplin Creek and Joplin City was on the east side of the creek. Although the two cities had a contentious relationship, they merged and incorporated in March 1873, under the name of Joplin.
Historic Murphysburg Preservation, Inc.  hosted an event on Saturday, September 11, 2021, to commemorate the 150th year anniversary of the incorporation of the town of Murphysburg. Murphysburg Sesquicentennial Celebration . . . Patrick Murphy’s Legacy showcased the past and future of the Murphysburg Historic District via a behind-the-scenes tour of an ambitious preservation project, rare visits to several private gardens, pools, and porches, and numerous street fair activities

This event was a way to have fun with history and learn about the rehabilitation and future use of four significant Murphysburg properties—the Olivia Apartments at 4th and Moffet, plus the Schifferdecker, Zelleken, and Rogers Houses near 4th and Sergeant.

The celebration was on Saturday, September 11, 2021 from 2 to 6 pm, on Sergeant Avenue between 2nd and 5th Street.  Activities include Irish heritage musical entertainment by The Sea Hollies (a local Joplin band) and Irish dancing demonstrations with audience participation.  The area’s German heritage will also be featured with music from the The GAST Blaskapelle community band affiliated with the German American Society of Tulsa.  American style standards were performed by the Heartland Concert Band.  Other activities included a walking tour and scavenger hunt; period costumed reenactors; equestrian demonstrations by the Jasper County Sheriff’s Posse, miniature train rides, and more.  Joplin’s city flower, the iris, was spotlighted.  A Patriot Day flag ceremony to honor the victims and first responders of 9/11.   Docents educated visitors about architectural details, stories about the original homeowners, and tidbits of history.

 

Historic Murphysburg Preservation, Inc., is a non-profit organization that implements charitable and educational activities, which promotes and stimulates historic awareness throughout Joplin. 

Proceeds from ticket sales benefit the activities of HMP.

The event is in cooperation with Joplin Historical Neighborhoods, Inc.  

 

Bare Bones in the Schifferdecker House

Guests learned the process of the extensive JHN restoration.

Living history portrayals

Proper day wear attire for late 1800s was exhibited in the Zelleken House by The Ellis Sisters.

Charles and Wilhelmina Schifferdecker House

Joplin Historical Neighborhoods, Inc. (JHN) was established to preserve and memorialize the rich history and Victorian architecture of three homes in the Murphysburg Historic District, providing living history museums of the formative days of Joplin, Missouri.

Michael Englebert Griffin, AIA LEED AP O+M Preservation Architect

Michael explained the intense preservation project to the tour guests.

Brad Belk, Preservation Director and Curator

Brad lead the other tour group and told the story of the restoration.

Hard Hat Tour

Michael was hired in 2017 as the preservation architect for Joplin Historical Neighborhoods, Inc. and has relocated to the Joplin community.

Hard Hat Tour goers

Happy tour goers at 422 S Sergeant Ave-Charles Schifferdecker House Circa 1890 ~ Romanesque

Hard Hat Tour goers

Tour guests photo opportunity at the Schifferdecker carriage house.

Hard Hat Tour goers

The Hard Hat Tour showcased the past and future of the Murphysburg Historic District via a behind-the-scenes tour of an ambitious preservation project.

GAST Blaskapelle community band

The GAST Blaskapelle community band affiliated with the German American Society of Tulsa, Blaskapelle (German for “wind band”) was on site to perform.

Free fun for all ages

Trains, music, and more…

Jasper County Sherriff's Posse

Equestrian demonstrations by the Jasper County Sheriff’s Posse, with horses hitched to Murphhsburg original hitching posts.

Historical reenactors

Period reenactors welcomed guests in front of one of the garden tour stops

GAST Blaskapelle community band

Food vendors

 

 

Volunteers setting up the Beer Tent

Murphysburg’s “Beer Boss Man”, Bob Samuals made home brew in honor of Charles Schifferedecker, Joplin’s original “Beer Boss Man”.

Frank Childress House

One of the Gardens & Pool tour stops.

Frye/BaSom House

One of the Gardens and Pool stops.

Heritage Music

German band honored Charles Schifferdecker’s homeland heritage.

Irish Heritage Music

Irish music honored Patrick Murphy, “Father of Murphysburg” homeland heritage music.

Oom-pah-pah Music

Polka time!

Hard Hat Tour

Tour guests entering the Edward Zelleken House, learning about preservation.

Hard Hat Tour at the Charles Schifferdecker House

The Crown jewel of Murphysburg with restoration well underway

Sherriff's Posse

The Jasper County Sherriff’s Posse showed up to educate guests on the importance of their search and rescue team.

Sherriff's Posse

The Jasper County Sherriff’s Posse showed up to educate guests on their search and rescue team.

Historic Murphysburg Preservation’s mission is to promote historic preservation throughout the Murphysburg Residential Historic District and the City of Joplin.  We seek to preserve the integrity of the downtown residential community, educate visitors about our rich history, save limited natural resources, and instill community pride.

Homes of Murphysburg!

Alfred Harrison Rogers House

623 West Fourth
Circa 1899 ~ Classical Revival
Architectural details are, Broken pediment, Art glass

UNITY OF JOPLIN

After the May 2011 Joplin Tornado destroyed Unity of Joplin’s house of worship, they chose to purchase and restore the former Women’s Club rather than rebuild their former building. The Neal Group Construction Company was hired as the general contractor for the renovations.

Cadi Klein House

622 South Sergeant Avenue
Circa 1900, Queen Anne
Architectual details are Doric Columns and Pediment

George Lavery House

608 South Sergeant
Circa 1899~ Queen Anne

Featured architecture, gable Detail

Good Urbanism

“Urban Living”
Murphysburg area offers a place to live, shop, dine and play,

Jesse Starr House

Colonial Revival circa 1902

The Henry Weymann House

508 South Sergeant’
Circa 1891 ~ Queen Anne
Architectural feature, Art Glass

The Olivia Hotel and Apartments

320 South Moffet  Olivia Apartments - Arthur Bendelari 1906 ~ Late 19/Early 20...

Adam Scott House

202 South Sergeant
Circa 1899 ~ Queen Anne
Featured architectural detail, brackets

Frank Sharp/Nett Murphy House

212 South Moffet
Circa 1909 ~ Spanish Mission
Architectural details are, Mission parapet, Art glass

The Fredrick H. Rogers House | North Heights Neighborhood | 536 North Wall | Historic Local Landmark

The Fredrick H. Rogers House | North Heights Neighborhood | 536 North Wall | Historic Local Landmark

Joplin Visitors & Convention Center

Stay awhile and enjoy Joplin!

Peter and Adaline Schnur House

 Circa 1890  Queen Anne

BECKHAM-RICHARDSON HOUSE

603 North Pearl Avenue
North Heights
Richardson House

The Thomas Connor Nolan House

106 South Moffet
Circa 1902 ~ Free Classic Queen Anne
Featured architectural details are Ionic columns and Hitching post

A. B McConnell/Sol Newman House

115 South Moffet
Circa 1899 ~ Free Classic Queen Anne
Features architectural details, Dentils and Art Glass

Edward Zelleken House

406 South Sergeant
Circa 1893 ~ Queen Anne
Architectural features Parapets and Art Glass

Gustave A Kleinkauf

Phone: (417) 438-6808 –
Address: 523 S. Sergeant, Joplin

Albert Newman House

 130 South Moffet Circa 1905 Dutch Colonial Reveval The house was built for...

Charles Schifferdecker House

422 South Sergeant
Circa 1890~ Romanesque
Featured architectural detail, hops Vines Frieze

John Johnson House aka Schifferdecker Gardner’s House

419 South Jackson Circa 1890 ~ Tudor Revival Features...

William B McAntire House

524 West Fifth
Circa1905 ~ Queen Anne
Architectural details are, Palladian window, Pediment, Bay window

Fletcher Snapp House

501 South Sergean
Circa 1905 ~ Colonial Revival

Charles Moore / Sigmond Klein House

circa 1900
Classical Revival
Palladian Window, Art Glass

JOHN A. COTTON HOUSE

North Heights Neighborhood

William H. Smith House

William and Comfort D. (Porter) Smith first came to Joplin in 1874 from Bowling Green, Kentucky and took a job as assistant cashier with the Joplin Savings Bank of East Joplin, the first bank established in Joplin.

The Benedict Landauer House

118 South Moffet Avenue
Circa 1902~ Queen Anne

Featured architectural detail. oriel window

Elisha Mathew/George N. Spiva House

611 South Sergeant
Circa 1902~ Colonial Revival

Frederick Wilber House

Wilson Hutton District
117 North Moffet Avenue
circa 1906 ~ American Foursquare

Katherine J. (Foley) Douthat House

531 South Sergeant Avenue
Circa 1932 ~ Tudor Revival
Featured architectural details, Art glass

William Houk House

218 South Sergeant
Circa 1909 ~ American foursquare: Classical elements
Featured architectural detail, oculus window

Valley of Joplin Scottish Rite Cathedral

505 South Byers
Circa 1923 ~ Beaux-Arts style
Bronze double doors, Light windows with “Union Jack” lights, Art glass, Keystone and spandrels with floral motif panels.

Julius Fischer House

Julius Fischer House

Jere Charlow House

While living in Joplin with wife Maude Ellen (Gregg), Jere Charlow was a bookkeeper for Picher Lead Company and a member of the Joplin Elks Club.

Joseph E. Garm House

Joseph Edward Garm, vice-president of Joplin National Bank, was a well-known banker and financier.

Frank Childress House

302 South Sergeant  ~ Circa 1922 ~ Craftsman ~ Architectual details ~ Art...

Dr. Albert Newton Winchester

Dr. Albert Newton Winchester
507 South Sergeant
1905-1906 Queen Anne

Henry McNeal House

220 South Moffet
Circa 1908 ~ Craftsman
Architectual Details are,Oriel window, Art glass, Carriage steps

Arthur Waite House

616 South Sergeant
Circa 1906 ~ Colonial Revival
Architects Garstang and Rea

Thomas Lennan House

219 South Sergeant
Circa 1917 ~ Colonial Revival
Architect, Austin Allen

Featured architectural detail, door with curved pediments

The Simon Schwartz House

420 South Byers Avenue
Circa 1890 ~ Queen Anne
C. W. Kellogg, Architect

United Hebrew Congregation

United Hebrew congregation

Morgan’s Grocery Store

505 West Second Street
Circa 1934 ~ Depression era
Concrete Block Commercial Building

Austin Allen House

Austin Allen 112 Seargeant

4TH STREET LOFTS – R&S CHEVROLET BUILDING

4TH Street Lofts-R&S Chevrolet Building

Restoring A Historic Building

Looking for assistance in rehabilitating an historic building?

John Wise House

504 South Byers
Circa 1898 ~ Queen Ann
Architectural details are, Art glass, Brackets, Spindle work, Bay windows, Pediment, Fish scale
August Michaelis (Architect)

Charles G. Henderson House

518 South Sergeant  Circa ~ 1917 ~ Colonial Revival ~ Murphysburg  Originally...

Frye/BaSom House

The Frye/BaSom House

James I. Geddes House

Geddes House and Air b&B

Oliver Shepard Picher House

210 South Sergeant
Circa 1904 ~ Colonial Revival

Featured architectural detail, modillions

Architectural elements you can discover in Murphysburg

Elements of Architecture


The Murphysburg Historic District appears much as it did during the period of significance (1880-1965) and as a whole retains all aspects of integrity. One hundred twenty-six of the 153 (82%) primary resources are contributing to the District while three of the primary resources were previously listed in the National Register of Historic Places. These resources remain in their original locations within the neighborhood and just west of the downtown commercial center. The residential setting has streets lined with sidewalks, mature trees, and houses on widely-spaced lots, as it did when it was initially platted.

Commercial areas have developed to the south and east, but these do not compromise the integrity of the District. The District clearly communicates its associations with and feelings about the patterns of residential development and the breadth of architectural styles that shaped the community of Joplin from the late 1800s into the mid-twentieth century.

The majority of resources retain their original design, materials, and workmanship. The array of architectural styles represented by the original designs, including National Folk Forms, Queen Anne, and Revival Styles, remains intact throughout the District. The majority of the resources have their original form and materials, such as limestone foundations, wood siding, and wood windows.

 There is always something to do in Joplin

Check out our areas attractions and events

 

2022 HMP Volunteer Board Members

President: Chris Ferguson

  Vice President: Wayne Stephenson

Secretary: Mary Anne Phillips, Treasurer: Paula Callihan,

Direstors: Mary Ann Neff, Kristine Gustafson and Jim Burns

murphysburg@gmail.com ~ 417-208-9376