• Menu
  • Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to footer

Historic Murphysburg Preservation, Joplin, Missouri

Celebrating National Historic Districts & Places That Matter

Header Right

Our Guidestar Rating: Silver Transparency 2022, by Candid
twitter
facebook
(417) 208-9376
  • Our Neighborhood
    • Virtual Tour
    • Walking Tour Options
    • Our Historic Homes
    • Sacred Places
    • Historic Murphysburg Events
    • Visit Joplin
      • Visit Joplin MO
      • Connect 2 Culture
      • Post Art Library
      • Downtown Joplin Alliance
    • Area Accommodations
      • Joplin Hotels
      • Vacation Rentals
    • Murphysburg Homes for Sale
  • Resources
    • Homeowner Resources
    • Historic Markers
    • Places in Peril
    • Architectural Elements
    • Local History
    • Women of Murphysburg
  • Membership
    • Membership Levels
    • Volunteer
  • About Us
    • Mission
    • Board of Directors
    • Friends of Murphysburg
  • Contact Us
  • Our Neighborhood
    • Virtual Tour
    • Walking Tour Options
    • Our Historic Homes
    • Sacred Places
    • Historic Murphysburg Events
    • Visit Joplin
      • Visit Joplin MO
      • Connect 2 Culture
      • Post Art Library
      • Downtown Joplin Alliance
    • Area Accommodations
      • Joplin Hotels
      • Vacation Rentals
    • Murphysburg Homes for Sale
  • Resources
    • Homeowner Resources
    • Historic Markers
    • Places in Peril
    • Architectural Elements
    • Local History
    • Women of Murphysburg
  • Membership
    • Membership Levels
    • Volunteer
  • About Us
    • Mission
    • Board of Directors
    • Friends of Murphysburg
  • Contact Us

entrepreneurs Women

James & Mary Anne Dangerfield House

January 11, 2026 //  by Paula Callihan

405 S. Moffet Avenue circa 1890 | Queen Anne

James H. Dangerfield (1842-1909 MH) and his wife Mary Anne Newman Dangerfield (1842-1908 MH) were born in England. After moving to Joplin, James engaged in mining and later launched a real estate business which grew to include loans, insurance, rentals, collections, leases on mining land, and construction. James’s office was at this house. Their son, Edward Dangerfield (1870-1955 MH) and his wife Blanch lived here with (and later without) his parents. Edward was active in the father/son duo’s business. Edward was a director of Mount Hope Cemetery and one of the founders. Edward married second wife Alma Smith (1879-1964 MH) in 1920.

Tea & Scandals story

Category: HOME TOP, HomesTag: architecture, entrepreneurs Women, history, Mount hope Cemetery, Route 66, scandal, tea party

Tea & Scandals… An afternoon Tea with a Twist at the Dangerfield House

October 17, 2025 //  by admin

The recently restored historic Dangerfield house at 405 South Moffet Avenue, in Joplin’s Murphysburg Historic District, will once again host an afternoon tea—mimicking a social event that was held there over a century ago.

Historic Murphysburg Preservation, Inc. (HMP)l hosted two afternoon teas on Saturday, December 20, 2025 at 12 noon and again at 3:00 p.m. All guests were be treated to a tour and historic account of the house decorated for the holidays. The event was more than just a selection of teas with delectable traditional English finger foods and delicacies—this even also included tales of scandals that enveloped the Dangerfield family! What is a society gathering without a little neighborhood gossip?

In august of 1908 Mrs. Blanch Dangerfield (the daughter in law of the original owners of the James Dangerfield home) hosted a fifty person tea party here for the who’s who of turn of the century Joplin. It was a well regarded event described in social circles as an elegant affair. However the success of this gathering could not predict the utter chaos that would befall the family mere months later. By the end of 1909 both James and Mary Ann Dangerfield would be dead, in the next year their son in law charged and convicted of embezzlement from Mt Hope cemetery, adultery and the scandals of divorce from both progeny of the Dangerfields would shock the city and seal the family’s downfall.

Tea & Scandals: After Dark Speakeasy

If tea is not your thing, there was also be a separate ticketed “speakeasy event” at 6:00 p.m. All guests were treated to a tour and historic account of the house while enjoying the holiday decorations, $20 per person. A complimentary beverage was offered. Tea & Scandals: After Dark Speakeasy was a come-go event, While having a signature drink with new friends you will learn about  tales of scandals that enveloped the Dangerfield family!


Category: FundraiserTag: architecture, entrepreneurs Women, history, Mount Hope, Route 66, scandal, tea

 “Whisky & Whispers: A Reflection on Prohibition”

July 21, 2025 //  by Paula Callihan

Step back in time and party like it is 1933!  Yay! The18th Amendment has been repealed!  Joplinites can enjoy the free flow of liquor again! Celebrate with us at a Whisky Tasting & Food Pairing event on Saturday, September 27 at 6:30 p.m. hosted by Historic Murphysburg Preservation, Inc. Whisky & Whispers: A Reflection on Prohibition will be held at The Main Event, 611 South Main Street in downtown Joplin on Historic Missouri Route 66. 1930’s dress attire is welcomed.


Grant Testerman, our whisky sommelier will facilitate the event by teaching guests how to enjoy various types of whisky and food that is best paired with them. Included in the tasting, 5 top shelf Whiskies, Wilders signature whisky tasting glasses, food pairings, tasting note cards, and history interpreters will be provided. Guests can also purchase raffle tickets before and during the event for a chance to take home premium bottles of specialty whiskies and more.

Your $125 ticket will include 5 whisky tastings & food pairings.  Our top shelf libations are from Japan, Kentucky, Ireland (the Quiet Man 8 Year), and Tom’s Town Distillery out of Kansas City, Missouri. Our feature is the “unicorn” Blanton’s Single Barrel Bourbon.  The food pairings will bring out the flavor of these choice liquors. Our commemorative tasting glasses are sponsored by Wilder’s Steakhouse.  Every taster will receive a commemorative glass with the historic Wilders Steakhouse logo. Our guests will learn how Vern Wilder played a colorful roll in in Joplin during Prohibition!

If you don’t want to be in on the tasting but want to come and have fun and learn about prohibition, purchase a $50 companion ticket.  It will include 2 bootlegger drinks sponsored Tall Pines Distillery (peach moonshine). 

All  guests will be treated to a harvest of beautiful charcutiers style food & great music. The Main Event will have their bar open to purchase beverages to keep the fun going through the evening.  

Thank you Wilder’s Steakhouse & Tall Pines Distillery out of Pineville, Missouri!

Whisky tasting & pairing ticket
Companion ticket
$20 for 1 Whisk(e)y raffle
$50 for 3 Whisk(e)y raffle

TICKETING – Tickets can be purchased in advance or at the door for $125 per person for the whisky tasting, special seating. $50 per person for a companion bar & couch seating. Guests must be 21 years old to attend. Be prepared to show ID. For tickets or additional info contact paula@murphysburg.org or by calling Paula Callihan at (417) 208-9376. Check out website for updates at murphysburg.org


The Volstead Act and the 18th Amendment caused the sale and consumption of liquor to become illegal and was commonly referred to as “Prohibition.”  All liquor sales had to end by January 16, 1920.  However, local newspapers reported that after Prohibition was ratified, Joplin remained a “wet oasis” in the Four-State thanks to bootlegging. 

But many residents saw the benefit of having the country and Joplin go “dry.”  Men and women were active in the Anti-Saloon League of America and the Woman’s Christian Temperance Union.  One of the slogans attributed to the WCTU is “Lips that touch whiskey are lips that will never touch mine.” Prohibition ended with the 21st Amendment in 1933. 

How do you like your whisky?  Drinking whiskey is a personal experience – there’s no right or wrong way to drink whiskey as long as you savor the flavor.

Neat: Room temperature with nothing added allows you to experience its full complex flavor profile.

On The Rocks: Adding ice chills the whisky, providing a refreshing drink that slowly dilutes the spirit as the ice melts, want a slower melts try a big cube.

With a Slash of Water: A small splash of water can mellow the whisky’s harshness and help release its subtle aromas and flavors

Whisky Stones: Freezer safe cubes made of soapstone, metal or marble provide chill without diluting your spirit.


Category: Fundraiser, Upcoming EventTag: 150th anniversary, architecture, entrepreneurs Women, history, Olivia, places in peril, prohibition, Route 66, Schifferdecker, sesquicentennial, USO, Volstead Act, whisky

Murphysburg Treasure Hunt

June 16, 2025 //  by Paula Callihan

The Murphysburg Treasure Hunt Coordinators.
The winners of the $1,000 Prize. Our friend on the right, Michelle Ferguson represented SMB and was there to give the prize to our happy treasure hunters.
More treasure hunters at the finish line. They stated, even though they did not win a prize they learned a lot about Joplin and had a good time.

 Historic Murphysburg Preservation, Inc. produced an exciting community  event to celebrate Historic Preservation Month: The Murphysburg Treasure Hunt is race to solve riddles, uncover clues, and explore Joplin’s rich history.

Want to take the Treasure Hunt on your own? The hunt features historical sites throughout the city. Each one is tied to significant events and unique stories from Joplin’s early days.

Message us on our Facebook page for Answers or more hints to find the treasures.

A special thanks to Southwest Missouri Bank for for sponsoring the event.

Paula’s Beauty shop

Joshua Shackles Production

City of Joplin

Category: Fundraiser, Historic Preservation Month, History, Joplin's Great Architects, Treasure Hunt, UncategorizedTag: 150th anniversary, architecture, entrepreneurs Women, history, Olivia, Route 66, Schifferdecker, sesquicentennial

The Legacy of Jo Kilbane: A Life of Service in Joplin

March 24, 2025 //  by Mary Anne Phillips

Women’s History Month featuring Mary Joanne Kilbane

Were you delivered by Dr. Irvin Kilbane either at home or in a hospital? Do you know the story about the woman behind the doctor? 

In commemoration of Women’s History Month, Historic Murphysburg Preservation, Inc. presents the life and work of Mary Joanne “Jo” Booher Kilbane, also known to the Joplin community as Dr. Irvin Kilbane’s wife, nurse, and assistant.  Jo was born in Cerro Gordo, Illinois in 1927.  She claimed to have been born in the same bed in which her mother was born.  She attended high school in Peoria, Illinois.  Jo married Bernard Rosenak in 1945 and they moved to Joplin in 1952.

According to Joplin City Directories, Jo worked at Reserve Life Insurance in 1963.  When Joplin General Hospital at 521 W. 4th Street closed in 1963, Dr. Kilbane moved his medical practice to his house at 420 S. Byers Avenue.  In 1964 Jo started as a laboratory technician at Dr. Kilbane’s office, and in 1965 her job was listed as a receptionist.  Jo and Irv were married on September 8, 1966.  She completed her education and received her License Practical Nursing certification and license from the Missouri State Board of Nursing in 1971.  Jo assisted her husband in his medical practice until he retired in 2003.  Irv was born in 1915 and passed away in 2005.

Lori and Jeremy Haun, current owners of the Kilbane’s former house and medical office, proudly display the doctor’s sign in the house.

Jo brought five children to the marriage and Irv brought three, but through the years, the couple fostered many children.  In a Joplin Globe interview published on July 21, 2002, Jo tells the following story: “Irv delivered the baby, a girl.  The mother was single and white. [The baby’s father was African American.] She was dealing with some family issues and felt she couldn’t cope with raising a baby.  She and the baby stayed with us for a while.”  When the mother decided to join the military, she left the baby with the Kilbanes.  “We had her for seven years and felt like she was ours.  We were in the process of trying to adopt her when the mother came home and decided to take her back.”


Irv never converted to the Jewish faith, but because he was a member of a Jewish family, he is buried with Jo in the Jewish section at Mount Hope Cemetery in Webb City, and both of their names were placed on the “In Memoriam” plaque at the temple in Joplin.

Jo was active in the United Hebrew Congregation and the Temple Aid Sisterhood.  The Sisterhood sponsored bake sales, cookbook sales, and food fairs.  Jo was particularly known for her homemade cheesecakes, making around 50 cakes every year for friends, family, and bake sales.  Often times the cheesecakes were garnished with pansies from her yard.

The Kilbanes were also considered an “interfaith couple”— Jo was Jewish and Irv was a Methodist.  What would have been a major challenge for any blended family, Jo and Irv made it work with a sophisticated schedule.  According to a Joplin Globe interview with Jo printed on June 22, 1997, she said Irv attended temple (United Hebrew Congregation Temple at 702 S. Sergeant) with her on Friday evenings when he wasn’t delivering babies. On Sunday, he dropped her children off at temple for Hebrew lessons, then took his children to St. James Methodist Church for Sunday school.  Irv then returned home for Jo and she accompanied him to Sunday church services.  The Kilbanes celebrated both Christmas and Hanukkah while their children were young.


The former Oak Hill Hospital in Joplin—where Dr. Kilbane served as chief of staff—also benefited from Jo’s volunteer service through the hospital’s auxiliary.  The auxiliary staffed a gift shop, held ham and bean suppers, spaghetti-chili dinners, bazaars, art auctions, bake sales, ice cream socials, and made tray favors for patients.  The money raised by the auxiliary funded the purchase of medical and educational equipment and supplies needed at the hospital.        

In 1979 the Newburger building was razed and the City built a new structure that stands today.  Carver School eventually closed in 2004 due to the lack of sufficient income and the expansion of the Head Start program.   

For many years she was a volunteer and board member of George Washington Carver Memorial Nursery School, formerly located at 520 S. School Avenue in Joplin’s Ewert Park.  The school was formed for children of working Black families.  The mission was eventually expanded to include all children.  According to a Joplin Globe article on May 4, 1952 when the school moved into the Newburger Community House, the concept of the school started around 1926 on the “…dreams and hopes of the Negro citizens…”  Prior to the donation of land and money by Viola Newman Newburger and her late husband, Gabe Newburger, the school was held in a pavilion at Ewert Park. 

Another example of Jo’s commitment to education was as a board member of Women in Community Service, Inc. (WICS).  WICS was started in Joplin in June 1966 by the National Councils of Church Women United to serve as Job Corps recruiters to help find jobs for underprivileged girls 16 to 21 years old.  Jo represented the Council of Jewish Women on the WICS board.  Also on the board was Minnie Hackney representing the Council of Negro Women.  Girls attending Job Corps training centers were given transportation, room and board, some clothing, medical and dental expenses and $30 a month.  Girls were accepted for the Job Corps who had completed high school, but who had not obtained job skills, or who had dropped out of school.  Girls in the centers who had not completed high school could acquire an equivalent to a high school diploma.

Amber Ashby grew up at 419 S. Moffet, across the alley to the west of the Kilbane home and office.  She worked for Dr. Kilbane for over 18 years up to his retirement.  Her sister, Deanna Doss also worked for the doctor.  When interviewed for this story, Amber said, “Jo was a one-of-a-kind lady, very unique, and you always knew where you stood with her.” 


Amber further stated, “The yard was another love of Jo’s; it was always well manicured and one year she had hundreds of tulips planted along with pansies, rose bushes, and peonies.”  In June of 1996, the Kilbane yard was part of a garden tour featuring bird houses, perennial beds, window boxes, and container planting.


Jo was also known for their collection of antiques: furniture, children’s toys and furniture, clothes, musical instruments, kitchen utensils, miniature figures, fine china, sewing machines, portraits, photographs on tin plates…and 35 stoves.  At their Murphysburg home, there was at least one antique stove in every room.

Amber further reported, “If anyone else had such a large collection of antiques in their house, it would look like a hoarder lived there, but Jo made the house look like a livable museum.”  She would have a small trinket box or basket sitting on a table with smaller trinkets inside.  “There was never an empty ‘anything’ in the house.” 

Mary Joanne passed away in 2013 after a long struggle with Alzheimer Disease—and after a long history of family and community service.  According to her obituary in The Joplin Globe, “Her home was always open, and there was always room at her table and a brisket in the freezer [ready to cook for company, events, or funerals.]  She gave her children and grandchildren her infectious joy and sense of humor for the human condition, and encouraged and supported each of them to be whoever they wanted to be.”

Photograph of the Kilbane House looking west. The Medical Office is the detached red brick building pictured in the upper right corner of the property.

HISTORY OF THE HOUSE AT 420 S. BYERS AVENUE & ITS DOCTORS

The red brick house was built around 1890 in the Queen Anne style and was designed by the local architect, C. W. Kellog.  The first owner of this elaborate house was a dry goods merchant, Simon Schwartz and his wife Hennie. 

The second owner, John Graham (1872-1917) was a wholesale grocer and horse lover.  In 1898, Mr. Graham constructed an elegant brick stable at the back of the property to accommodate his beloved horses. 

The next owner, Dr. Samuel Ashby Grantham (1866-1938), housed his medical office in the parlor of the main house but in 1916, relocated it to the stable.  Dr. Grantham, an orthopedic surgeon, constructed a blacksmith shop above the office where he could make the pins and braces he needed for his many patients.  When Dr. Grantham died, his younger son, Sam, took over the practice.

Dr. Irvine Kilbane (1915-2005) purchased the house and “stable” on September 22, 1963, just four days after Joplin General Hospital closed, most likely with the plan of moving his practice to Dr. Grantham’s former medical office.  Through the years, he made house calls and answered late night emergencies.  He provided immunizations, conducted examinations, performed lab work, and did minor surgeries at his home office.  Jo’s job was to make sure the clinic (and her husband!) operated smoothly.

After Dr. Kilbane’s death, and after Jo moved out of the house, the Kilbane/Rosenak children auctioned off the house and its contents in 2007.

Category: History, Women of MurphysburgTag: architecture, entrepreneurs Women, history, Route 66

  • Page 1
  • Page 2
  • Page 3
  • Interim pages omitted …
  • Page 7
  • Go to Next Page »

Footer

Contact Us

(417) 208-9376
info@murphysburg.org
Join our mailing list

Our Mission

To promote, educate and preserve the integrity of historic properties throughout the Murphysburg District and Joplin.

Support HMP

Become a member
Donate to our organization

Site Footer

Click below to view our Guidestar rating

Copyright © 2026 · Historic Murphysburg Preservation, Inc. All rights reserved.